Sightseeing in Schenna
The Castle of Schenna was built by the Governor of Tyrol - Petermann of Schenna- around the year 1350 AD.
The castle was owned by several noble families over the centuries and frequently altered and renoveted.
In 1844 it was acquired by the Archduke Johann of Austria, who lived in the castle together with his family and then bequeathed it to the ancestors of the present owner: the Count of Meran
Mausoleum The Mausoleum was built between 1860 and 1869 as the last resting place for Archduke Johann of Austria and his wife Anna.
It has been designed by architect Professor Moriz Wappler from Vienna.Without any doubt it is one of the earliest and most outstanding sacred buildings in neo-gothic style.
This round Church of the 12th and 13th century is dedicated to Saint Georg.
It is situated about 2 km above Schenna.
Various beautiful old frescos decorate the interior and there is also an artful Gothic winged altarpiece.
The central pillar carries the date 1591, the year in which a stroke of lightning destroyed almost entirely one half of the Church.